Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Record pause

I've been away. Christchurch, to be specific. I know everyone hates Christchurch, but I don't. I love the place. It is my turangawaewae (I think, as long as 'turangawaewae' means 'place I first tasted a burger').

We picked up a fabulous rental car at the airport. As my lovely rellies pointed out, it looked like an undercover cop car. It was also excruciatingly appealing to bogans. Late model Ford in bright blue - AWESOME DUDE. This meant we were desirable to much of the population of Canterbury.

We timed our trip to coincide with the Pre-1949 Hot Rodders Convention. To be perfectly honest this was a lucky accident. Sitting at the Hill Top on the way to beautiful Akaroa, a constant stream of shiny cars with flames cruised past forever. After apologising to a rodder (for that is what they are called) about our car, and interrupting his recording of the procession of the cars on his camera-phone, we found out that they had come from all over the country.

After doing lots of swimming in the sea and eating icecreams and buying of hats (well, one hat, but 'hats' fitted better in the sentence), we had a good gander at the Hot Rods.

We have a new tribe. The rodders are our people, and now all I can think of is buying a pre-1949 vehicle, painting it yellow, waxing the bejeesus out of it, and using our range-hood as a muffler.

All up, a very satisfactory holiday was had by all.

5 comments:

The Douros said...

Why does everybody hate Christchurch? I don't... Perhaps because it has been my first point of entry into New Zealand. I think, in fact, that it's kind of cute... To each's own, I suppose...

Martha Craig said...

I've got no idea. I grew up there, and I think it is very beautiful and close to lots of great places to visit.

Perhaps it is jealousy? Christchurch has a very good rugby team...

AMCSviatko said...

You could always paint flames on the mini...

;-)

Martha Craig said...

I don't think we'd fit into any social group if we did that.

I think it would look freaking hot though.

Joanna said...

Yes, I hate Christchurch because I am jealous of its rugby team. That is exactly it. It's not because people from there are weird or anything...