Friday, July 25, 2014

Craft project #2 - the slightly disappointing candles

For Crafty Freaks project number two I had the genius idea of making candles.

I've become a big fan of candles, primarily for their ability to freshen the air, as opposed to the light (I spent years not understanding candles, because I like to be able to see, and they're so dull. It turns out I have very poor vision in low light). There are a lot of people living in our house, and we cook a lot. Bread everyday and lunches and dinners and endless things. I hate houses smelling like food, so candles sort that nicely.

I also like smelly oils in the oil burner. I've got some yummy flavours, have you smelled lemon myrtle? It's delicious. I also love basil, it's really liquoricey.

So bingo, thought I, how hard can it be to make some nice candles?

I bought a kit from Zen Designs. It's a super starter, had a kilogram of soy wax, assorted containers and wicks and a bottle of oil. The service was terrific, and including postage it was $30.

 (this is after I'd used enough for 4 candles)

It was very simple to make the candles. I ordered coconut and lime fragrance, not something that would usually float my boat, but I was feeling adventurous, and it was quite nice.

I also tried making some with basil oil and lemon myrtle, plus some of the colour that came in the pack (gold). The colour made it quite beeswaxy looking, I liked the effect a lot.

The kids helped me with it. It was a great project for them, lots of weighing and mixing and testing the temperature. We made 4 wee candles.
 (pencils being used to hold the wicks straight)
They look great. The ones using my own oils you could barely smell, but I don't think essential oils are usually used like that? Anyway, my motivation to tinker around with them pretty much died the next day when I got a huge shipment of candles in the shop, and they smell incredible with loads of interesting flavours. I think in this instance I'll leave it to the experts in the future.




It was really fun though, and sometimes I think it's good to try these things just to appreciate how expert some folk are. I still have a lot of wax left and I think we'll be making some more for a rainy day project.



2 comments:

Kezya Wulandari said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

They'll never diss-apoint in Seventh-Heaven
where Zen is outlawed, dear. Why? Thats
horizontal, thats idolatry. Now you know.
-GBY