Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Frost

Wow, frost! In the balmy, sub-tropical (okay, seriously sub-tropical) haven of Petone. Which means today is a triumph of glorious frosty sunshine. And worth the cold toes in the morning.

And somehow my wee sub-tropical paradise has started attracting the tuis. We're going positively native around here. I credit my planting of some tui-attractants, although really they seem to just like the macrocarpa next door.

Man, I've gone all natural. I'll have a martini and get back to you with some crap shortly. It is the sun playing havoc with my brains.

3 comments:

Carmenzta said...

Martha, what are "tuis"? Are they butterflies?

Martha Craig said...

Tuis are a native New Zealand bird. They look quite cute with their white tuft of feather at their neck, and they have a really beautiful and distinctive song.


Our suburb is near the sea, and full of cats, so we don't see many bush-loving birds like tuis, and it is a real treat to have them around.

Carmenzta said...

So cute! Thank you for the link. Hope that martini was good!