Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Study

I'm finally sitting down to do my first Interior Design assignment, and naturally have to start off with a decent bit of procrastination.

Basically I can't believe one of the questions:

"The diverse and brilliant career of Charles'Edouard Le Corbusier is well recorded. Provide illustrations and comment on these two outstanding buildings.

*Villa Savoye, Poissy, France.

*La Notre Dame du Haut
Ronchamp, France."

Now maybe I'm being a bit precious, but in the good old days of study I remember so fondly, you weren't told someone was brillant and their buildings outstanding. You were asked whether they were brilliant and outstanding and why they were brilliant and outstanding.

I've got a feeling I know how to ace this course.

"Oh Corbusier was so brilliant and outstanding"

Good on you Open Polytech.

5 comments:

Mr Reasonable said...

"and he built brilliant buildings that were outstanding and, in fact, were brilliant in some ways and outstanding in others....."

Mr Reasonable said...

"....some could say he was outstanding in a brilliant way with a hint of outstandingness but others would argue that he was outstanding first and brilliant second.."
I feel an A plus coming your way for your both brilliant and outstanding work.

Martha Craig said...

Crikey Mr Reasonable, have you done this course too?

Just a little bit hysterical - you brilliant writer, you.

Unknown said...

In London, working in the photocopying room of one of Britain's largest architecture firm, I had the dubious distinction of being thought to look like Le Corbusier (or "Corb", as the upper-class twit recent graduate architect types used to call him.)

Wasn't he a brutalist? Buildings that are fine until you actually put people in them (he said from his ignorant perspective).

Martha Craig said...

If I remember rightly (Arch 172) they were machines for living. We bought a Le Corbusier lounger recently (which is a machine for recling) and it is very comfy indeed.

I really don't think the people at the Open Poly want to hear that his buildings were anything but brilliant and outstanding.