Monday, November 28, 2005

The horror

Today I more or less got a new laptop. Well, not really. Really I managed to (Indian accent call centre voice) "totally corrupt the whole system". Which means I've had to reinstall all the original disks and have lost EVERYTHING. Man, and it took a whole day to do. Stupid computer. And no, not a good time to enquire as to why I haven't backed everything up. I'm more a live for the now girl. And yes, I have plans to back things up in the future.

I just can't face installing firefox and sage and so on right now, because I'm tired, and I love/hate computers, and Buffy is beckoning (well, lets be honest, Angel is beckoning).

Garrrr, no bookmarks, no photos, no dodgy list of passwords.

Gone, all gone.

6 comments:

Ali-Belly said...

I condole you hugely... I'm not a backup girl either, so when I lost my last harddrive, I cried.

Anonymous said...

Hey, bring it over, I'll run GetDataBack on it as well! Data is never gone until you write over it with new data. Oftentimes it can be retrieved.

Another good hint - always partition your hard drive into two drives. And make sure all your data, photos, documents etc are saved to the one Windows is NOT installed on. Then if you ever have to re-install Windows, the contents of the other drive are usually still there...

There, I didn't mention "backup" once!

Anonymous said...

Good advice em! Also I use a quite inexpensive made in NZ program called Firestreamer DVD. It uses your DVD re-writer like a tape drive and you just use normal windows backup tool and it writes straight to DVD. There I said backup hehehe...

Martha Craig said...

thanks team.

Hey Emily, I've lost your email address... I made one up, but i'm not sure you'll get it. I'd love to come and have you help with me problems. When suits?

Anonymous said...

I use Karen's Powertoys back up for freebie backups - excellent with a nice external hard drive.

Jessie said...

Angel is beckoning.

I remember those days..