Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Book review - Tim Winton

Just so it doesn't seem like I'm turning into a total link loser, and to prove that I occasionally read more than mental websites, I thought I'd do a VERY brief book review.

I read The Turning by Tim Winton over christmas. I loved Cloudstreet by Tim Winton, in fact it may be my favourite book. I really didn't dig Dirt Music though for some reason, seemed a bit boys own in the end. I also read the Riders ages ago and wasn't bowled over by it. The Turning was fantastic, so I'm much relieved.

It was made up of a whole series of short stories, that weren't really. They all had some connection, and were pretty much all set in the same place, or with characters that came from the same place. It was hard to tell who the main character was, but towards the end it all came together well. It had a lovely Australian quality about it, which I think is very recognisable to folks here in Aotearoa. It was a bleak, but not too depressingly so.

I really don't like writing reviews actually. I don't know what people want to know.

I do recommend the book highly, and while you're at it read Cloudstreet too eh?

No comments: