Monday, October 24, 2005

These are a few of my favourite things

Petone has got better and better over the 3 1/2 years we've lived here. Initially I pretty much hated it, and missed living in Mt Vic. It was convenient for Glen's work though, and our 1 bedroom apartment would have been pretty claustrophobic with 3 people crammed in. We rented for the first year, a lovely house just off Jackson St, with a beautiful garden and gorgeously decorated. Our neighbour in Mt Vic bought the apartment off us, and we really needed to buy ourselves a house. The one problem with buying in Petone was the lack of good bread. Fortunately, in the nick of time, Brezelmania opened their first store. So we bought an old shit hole house at the desirable eastern end of Petone (although not quite as far as the lovely Exide factory).

Well how times have changed. Our house is now a palace, and we've discovered no end of fabulous parks, shops and entertainment.

So here are a couple of favourites:

Davis Trading - Every time I nip into Davis Trading for a little something, I come out with 3 bags bulging with treats. It is primarily an Asian supermarket, but also has a fantastic range of Mediterranean goodies. Their spices are cheap as chips and packaged in very handy jars. They have mortar and pestles for about $25. If I'm feeling particularly extravagant I buy some steamed coconut buns and have a mini yum char. I also never leave the store without a sesame treat. Mmm. Sesame treat. It is on Te Puni St, just near Kathmandu and the Warehouse.

The South African Shop - This place is such a blast. You're given a very warm welcome, and an offer of a cup of coffee. Take them up on this offer, the coffee is strong and tasty. They import lots of goodies, primarily from South Africa, but they have other things too. They are the local distributors of Whitestone Cheeses, and always give you a taste. They have an amazing selection of olives and all of them are available to taste. They also import and stock local wine. Last night we had the most delicious South African Syrah (which I bought because the owner told me Logan Brown and arbitrager are stocking it, and since I'm not going there anytime soon I thought I'd treat myself ). If you're after some parmigiano reggiano you may find it hard to go past the wheel they have behind the counter - a snip at $2395. I highly recommend a visit, it is a treasure trove of gourmet delights. On Fitzherbert St, off Jackson or the Esplanade.

That is enough Petone secrets shared for one day. I hate long posts, and this is well beyond my limit.

4 comments:

ANNA said...

hey I never knew Petone had so much to offer. I take back all the negative thoughts I may have had about the place! Good PR job.

Mr Reasonable said...

Wow, I had no idea. I bought a very small block of Parmigiano at New World last weekend to add a little flavour to a pasta dish I was zipping up. I never even looked at the price expecting it to be in the $5-10 range. Mrs R tells me it was $23.50 and that I am never allowed out on my own again. Damn nice cheese though! Perhaps I'd better avoid the South African Shop....

Unknown said...

Plus one of the world's better curry houses up Cuba street there...

Violet said...

When I was a student at Weltec and later an employee at a call centre in Petone, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of interesting shops and bars. And the fact that there is plenty of parking at Briscoes (unlike the one in Wgtn city). I once suggested to the boy that we could move there, but he objected to the fact that we'd then be living in the Hutt.