Thursday, February 23, 2006

The beach that smells like a portaloo

I went for a good run this morning. I was a bit worried as I haven't been out for a week cos of the lurg.

It was a very beautiful morning, and I had the beach to myself. I couldn't help notice the remarkable similarity between the odour of the beach and a portaloo. At the moment Hutt City is pumping its sewerage out at Eastbourne, rather that further out to sea. There was a distictive poo smell. The portaloo flavour came when you add the Lever Rexona factory stink. Actually, stink may not be the right word, and it is probably called something like Wildflower Bouquet.

The powers that be have assured us the poo will be gone in a week.

Then Petone will be back to perfect - smelling like roses, or Wildflower Bouquet as the case may be.

5 comments:

David said...

I'm guessing that you won't be obtaining a lucrative contract from the Petone Tourist Promotion Board?

Martha Craig said...

Probably not, although they'd be foolss not to employ me. Who else could sell the smell of soap as Wildflower Bouquet?

Unknown said...

I misread your title as the beach that smells like a potato, and wondered what would make you think that. Unless it was a roast potato, I suppose, but I imagined raw.

Also, it took me 2 attempts to type potato each time.

Martha Craig said...

well, you're an editter and care about spelling potatoe proper.

loohire said...

They don't mention this on the "Visit beautiful New Zealand" adverts on UK TV! :)